Wednesday 14 February 2024

My Latest Garment Design For Moorit, Issue 6!

photo courtesy of Amelia Claudia Photography


My Latest Garment Design For Moorit, Issue 6!

I gave you a sneak peek at something which I had to keep secret for AGES in my last email - my latest garment design for Moorit, issue 6! Gosh, it really was hard to keep that one quiet because I was so excited to have a piece accepted by such a prestigious crochet magazine!

 
For those of you who haven't come across Moorit before, it's a fantastic magazine which aims to elevate the status of crochet. Here's a snippet from the Moorit website which explains its values:
 
"Moorit is an independent crochet magazine based in Scotland and run by Alyson Chu. Launched in 2021, it was imagined as an antidote to the dearth of print publications made especially for crocheters. Focussing on wearable, modern garments and accessories made in natural fibres, Moorit is a high-end craft magazine with true indie spirit."
 
I've been buying the magazine since the very first issue came out and it is such a beautiful thing to behold each time a new issue is released, they just keep getting better!

 
photo courtesy of Amelia Claudia Photography


Today I can tell you a little more about my new design and share further photos, which I'm sure you'd like to see. The theme for issue 6 is balance and as soon as I found this out I was buzzing with ideas for a two colour garment! I was in the middle of a garment grading course with the super-knowledgeable Lynne Rowe, so the timing was perfect, I could put my newly learnt skills to use!
 
If you've been following me for a while, you'll know that my favourite yarn thickness to work with is 4ply (fingering weight), and I wanted to use this thickness to create a lightweight drape to my design. I decided to form the jumper of two sections: an upper section, crocheted in horizontal rows and a lower section crocheted in vertical rows. Two different textures which would counterbalance each other, which gave my sweater the name Counterbalance.
 
Alyson at Moorit chose a very similar yarn to the yarn I had suggested in my proposal, but I was very happy with the swap, it was Eden Cottage Yarns Milburn 4ply (85% British Bluefaced Leicester, 15% Mulberry Silk). I had used it before and I can tell you, this stuff is a dream to work with!! The colours I used were Crocosmia and Dusk - two colours which definitely balanced each other.
 
I began by crocheting all the lower panels, and if you go on to crochet this sweater, that's the way I'd suggest you go about it too. The upper panels came next before the seaming and finally the back loop only ribbing around the neckline. 
 
Moorit 6 is currently at the pre-order stage and you can check out the options (digital/ print or even a subscription) here. You can also view the other designs in the issue - there are some beauties - I can't wait until my copy lands on the doorstep!

That's all for now, happy crocheting,

Marta xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Power of Yarn: How Crochet Can Enhance Your Wellbeing

Hello! I don't know about you, but in our fast-paced world, I often crave moments of peace and activities that will help to keep me calm...