Tuesday 21 January 2014

Inspiration

This week I have turned my attention away from crochet pattern writing (it's going well, patterns are being tested at the moment) to making new items for my folksy shop (I need to pay for my wool habit!).

Yesterday I decided to create a Valentine's Day themed item to generate fresh interest in the shop. I looked through my home library of craft books and magazines for inspiration, not really sure what sort of item to make. Flicking through Stash Happy, FELT by Amanda Carestio I found the pattern for scrap coasters which I had made a few of for the house last year. While I am happy to copy patterns and ideas from other crafters for personal use I would feel wrong about producing them on a mass scale for selling. I do often take inspiration from fellow crafters and tweak them, adding my own personal touch. In this instance I thought of changing the shape from circular to heart shaped to give these coasters a Valentine's Day twist.


The evolution of the coaster

Some of my ideas are formed in similar ways to this and at other times completely new ideas form in my head. The circular felt brooches, which are proving popular in my folksy shop, were created by playing and twisting the felt and enjoying the way the spirals were shaped. To create my chunky bead necklaces I took inspiration from other necklaces in high street shops and thought "I could make something like that!".

First pair complete

My plan is to make a dozen of these coasters by the end of the week when I will list them in my folksy shop, www.folksy.com/shops/martasecocrafts . I think I will sell them in pairs, and make each pair limited edition!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your thoughts. and your words on your inspiration. please write some more. about all the things that inspire you. in and out of making. I'd love to hear them. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comment Aimee! I'm really getting into this blog thing and hope to make it a more regular practice :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Crafting with Care: Crocheting for Babies & Toddlers

  Crocheting For Babies & Toddlers: Safety Considerations Hello! Let's imagine you've picked out the perfect pattern, chosen the...