Wednesday 1 March 2017

Fields of Lavender Cardigan - the design process


Over the last few weeks I have been working on various crocheted cardigan designs, with most of my focus being on the Fields of Lavender Cardigan, pictured below in 0-3 month size. This new design came about in an unusual way for me, it was suggested by one of my pattern testers, Jill Porter. 


Jill had tested out the pattern for my Fields of Wheat Hat (above - photo used with kind permission) in a beautiful purple coloured yarn and when she posted it online she received comments about how the wheat stalks looked like lavender and suggestions for designing a cardigan using the same motif. You can see Jill's pretty Instagram photos here. You can see my photos of this hat design in my last blog post.



After doing a few calculations (sighing once again at how much maths is needed in the crochet design process!) I was ready to start and using spare white pure wool in superwash DK I began to turn my hat design into the flatter format required for a cardigan. One thing which really pleases me about crocheting baby garments is the speed in which they are finished, I quickly had a completed design that I was pretty much happy with. There were a few niggles that I wanted to sort, the collar line wasn't quite right for starters, but overall I was satisfied and ready to embark on the next version using lavender coloured wool.



The lavender design is crocheted in King Cole merino blend DK which I have chosen for both its superwash qualities and because it is warm and cosy for a baby to wear. On this second cardigan I worked the design in the next size up (3-6 months), so that I will have a variety of sizes to offer when the pattern is published.



All the cardigan needs now is buttons, which sadly I can't buy in my town (I have tried the button boxes in the local charity shops, but no luck this time) so the buttons will have to wait until I am next off out on an adventure. The next steps in the design process are pattern testing and photography, both of which I am looking forward to!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafting with Care: Crocheting for Babies & Toddlers

  Crocheting For Babies & Toddlers: Safety Considerations Hello! Let's imagine you've picked out the perfect pattern, chosen the...