Wednesday 23 August 2017

Yarn delivery from Eden Cottage Yarns

Earlier today I was really excited to come home from my grocery shop and find my order from Eden Cottage Yarns had arrived! The shopping was all flung to one side as I tore open the outer packaging straight away. Inside the wool had been carefully wrapped up in brown paper bags with the pretty Eden Cottage Yarns logo - all snug and perfect!


On opening further, I immediately fell in love with the baby alpaca wool - it is incredibly soft and delicate. I ordered the yarn because I plan to use it for the #BackToSchoolSweaterCal starting this Saturday. This CAL (short for crochet-along) has been organised by Tamara (craftyescapism.com) and Helen (makingatnumber14.blogspot.co.uk) and is a great way to encourage everyone to crochet a sweater (jumper) or cardigan between now and Christmas. A blog hop has been organised to accompany the CAL and it will take you on a journey via the participants blogs, finding out about all sorts of differnt aspects of garment making, starting with Tamara on Saturday (see link above). Helen approached me back in early summer, asking if I would like to be involved with this project and of course I was super keen to hop on board!! I will be writing 2 blog posts: the first in October will be all about designing a garment and my second will be in November with an update on my personal crocheted sweater progress.


For the CAL, I decided that I wanted to create a warm, winter version of my own design - Summer Cardigan. As well as changing the yarn from summery cotton to cosy alpaca I will be altering the fit to make it a more close fitting, snug cardigan. I have chosen Eden Cottage Yarns Whitfell DK which is a beautifully soft baby alpaca yarn and I can't wait to get started! The colours will be totally different too - the main colour will be dark brown "Ebony" and the colourful yoke will be in "Laburnum", "Fuchsia" and "Natural". My first step will be to work up a swatch and see how the yarn behaves in comparison with my original cotton design. From this point I will calculate my guage and sizing and the rest should fall into place ...

Anyone else joining in this CAL? Leave a comment below if you are!

Happy hooking,

Marta xx

6 comments:

  1. Lovely yarn choice Marta! I was so pleased you agreed to take part - thank you! I'm so looking forward to your posts xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited about this yarn! It's the first time I have used any ECY and I have the feeling it won't be the last! I'm looking forward to the blog hop and seeing everyone's sweaters too - it's going to be very inspirational xx

      Delete
  2. Those are lovely, cosy colours. I can't wait to see how they work up. I should get blogging myself - I'm feeling quite rusty ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment on my colours Sam - it was tricky to choose based on the colours on my laptop screen! I'm chuffed with the chocolatey ebony colour. You should definitely get back into blogging!! xx

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to seeing your design in this gorgeous yarn. Thank you for being one of our bloggers!! I can hardly wait to get hooking ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really looking forward to getting started! The swatch worked up beautifully - now the maths part ... I am glad to be taking part in my first blog hop, whoop, whoop! xx

      Delete

Transitional Crochet Patterns For Warmer Days

Transitional Crochet Patterns For Warmer Days It's almost Spring here in the northern hemisphere - a time of renewal - and that fresh f...