Thursday 27 January 2022

Square Stitch crochet tutorial

 


Hello, this week I have a crochet stitch tutorial for you - it's for the square stitch! To give you some background, throughout January I'm taking part in the Fun a Day project by crocheting a swatch each day to explore new textures. At the end of the month I'm going to join the squares into a 6 x 5 blanket.

If you haven't heard of Fun a Day it's an initiative that started in Philadelphia where participants work on a small creative project every day in January. My nearest city, Dundee, has a thriving Fun a Day community and I've been taking part with them for a few years now. In the spring there is an exhibition where everyone who has taken part can showcase their projects. The last 2 years this has been online, but perhaps it will be a real, actual exhibition this year ... we'll see! You can find out more about Fun a Day Dundee here.

Anyway, one of the swathches I've crocheted had a fantastic look and texture to it and I thought it was worth sharing with you. I made a pink version - the photo at the top of the page - for the tutorial.



Abbreviations (UK terms)
ch - chain
chsp - chain space
dc - double crochet
tr - treble

Begin: ch multiple of 2.

Row 1: 1dc in 2nd ch from hook, (ch1, miss 1dc, 1dc in next ch) across, turn.

Row 2: ch1, 1dc in first dc, (1tr in chsp, 1dc in next dc) across, turn.

Row 3: ch1, 1dc in first dc (ch1, miss next tr, 1dc in next dc) across, turn.

Row 4 onwards: repeat row 2 to 3.

If you prefer visual instructions, you can watch my video tutorial on YouTube here.



Let me know if you use this stitch, I'd love to see what you make!

Until next time, happy crocheting,

Marta xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafting with Care: Crocheting for Babies & Toddlers

  Crocheting For Babies & Toddlers: Safety Considerations Hello! Let's imagine you've picked out the perfect pattern, chosen the...