Friday 12 May 2023

The Mindfulness Of Crochet

Image shows a close up of a simple piece of crochet in bright rainbow stripes.


Over the last few weeks I've been busier than usual and I've found that my crochet projects have really helped me to unwind, gather my thoughts and escape.

I think you'll agree with me that crochet is a brilliant way to relax and de-stress. The repetitiveness can be so calming, and it can help to focus our minds and clear our thoughts.

Today I'd like to concentrate on the mindfulness of crochet and, if you're not already tuning in to this aspect of the craft, ways you can get the most out of it. 

Did you know that mindful crochet:

  • Reduces stress and anxiety. The repetitive motion of crocheting calms us down and can help to reduce our stress and anxiety.
  • Improves focus and concentration. Crocheting requires focus, which can help to improve these skills.
  • Increases creativity and self-expression. Crocheting is a creative outlet that can help us to thrive and express ourselves.
  • Provides a sense of accomplishment. Finishing a crochet project can provide a strong sense of accomplishment.

If you're looking for ways to add a little more mindfulness to your life, crochet, and similar crafts like knitting, sewing etc, are fantastic options.

Here are a few of my tips for practicing mindful crochet:

  1. Find a quiet place where you won't be interrupted.
  2. Sit in a comfortable position with good posture.
  3. Choose a project that you enjoy and that's not too challenging.
  4. Take your time and focus on each stitch.
  5. Remember to breathe! Deeply and slowly.
  6. Let go of any thoughts or worries that come into your mind.
  7. It can help to choose soothing colours such as purples, blues and greens to bring an extra level of calmness.
  8. Just enjoy the moment and the process of creating something beautiful.

Image shows a hand holding a book about crochet with a mandala on the cover. In the background there is crochet bunting.


Whilst all crochet projects can be mindful, some are even more mindful that others due to their simplicity, their repititiveness or their use of mood lifting colours. Things with 2 row repeats which you don't need to look at a pattern for after a few rows are one of my favourites. 
 
Emma Leith, author of Mindful Crochet puts it like this:
 
 "Crochet is a mindful activity that can help you to relax, focus, and be present in the moment. The repetitive motion of crocheting can be very calming, and it can help to clear your mind of worries and stress."
 
I have Emma's Mindful Crochet book and the projects in at are fab! I've made a few of the flowers and the bunting you see in my craft room is made following Emma's Boho Bunting pattern.
 
Just this week on social media, Tom Daley and LoveCrafts partnered to present the word makefulness which they've defined as:
 
"A blissfully happy state achieved by focussing one's awareness on making, used as a therapeutic technique to lift the mood of the maker and those around them."
 
I don't know about you, but I LOVE this word and it's definition! So, next time you're feeling stressed or overwhelmed, pick up your hook and start crocheting! Let me know your thoughts on this issue, I'd love to know if you agree with me! 

Until next time, happy crocheting,

Marta xx
PS. If you like my posts and wish to receive them straight to your inbox, you can sign up here and receive 20% off your first order from my website at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafting with Care: Crocheting for Babies & Toddlers

  Crocheting For Babies & Toddlers: Safety Considerations Hello! Let's imagine you've picked out the perfect pattern, chosen the...