Monday 22 May 2023

Crochet Pattern Release: Gorse Cowl



Hello! Last week I went out one beautiful afternoon with my eldest and their fancy camera and we shot some brilliant photos! The focus was a pattern called Gorse Cowl which I always wanted it to be photographed in front of gorse bushes in their prime and every year I seemed to miss the moment - until now!!

I wish you could've been with us that day in the sunshine, surrounded by the heady aroma of gorse - it was truly wonderful. The dog came with us, so did my youngest and my eldest's fiance and we all tried to describe what the smell was like - coconut and freshly baked cake we decided. However, my eldest is one of those people who can't smell gorse. Apparently it's a thing, some people simply can not smell it. Such a shame, they're really missing out. Can you smell it?




So, it's a bit of an out of the blue announcement for you this week; I've released the Gorse Cowl pattern which I wrote, had tech edited and tested back in 2019 but didn't ever get the photos taken to launch it! Crazy, huh?
 
It's a möbius cowl with a unique crocheted-in-the-round design hiding all your pesky ends, so you can express yourself with yarn without the hassle of sewing in all of those ends. 
 
I designed it in Di Gilpin Lalland, which is DK weight 100% scottish lambswool. It's a gorgeous yarn to work with and comes in so many rich, earthy tones including the yellow I chose. It made me think of the gorse bushes I see flowering so abundantly at this time of year, and so the cowl got its name!
 
The pattern is rated as intermediate and is written in UK terms. There's a video tutorial showing you how to work the main pattern, which is a straightforward, mindful pattern once you get going.
 
To crochet a Gorse Cowl, you'll need: 
 

Di Gilpin Lalland, 50g balls (100% scottish lambswool, an 8ply/DK weight yarn, 175m/50g)  

  • 1x Beechnut - Colour A
  • 1x Ruby Red - Colour B
  • 1x Coille - Colour C
  • 1x Furze - Colour D

5.5mm crochet hook

Plus a large needle for sewing in your 2 final ends, stitch marker keep track of rounds and scissors.

You can find the pattern on my website here and on Ravelry here.

I'll have more information about the yarn and possible substitutes in my next blog post. If you have any questions in the meantime, please ask! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Guide to Joining Crochet Like a Pro

  Seamingly Seamless: Mastering the Art of Joining Hello! If you've been crocheting for a while, you'll probably have come across a...