Tuesday 23 May 2023

Yarn Substitutes for my Gorse Cowl Pattern

Close up of a woman wearing a cowl crocheted in yellow, red, green and beige wool.

Hello! Thank you so much for the positive response to my latest crochet pattern release - Gorse Cowl! Everything from your likes and comments on social media throught to the pattern sales really do boost my small business and encourage me to keep doing what I'm doing, THANK YOU!

Also, I had a flurry of replies to my last post from folks in New Zealand telling me about how gorse is a real pest in that country. Sorry, I had no idea! 

In this email I'd like to chat about the yarn I chose for this cowl and some possible substitutes for you if you want to use something different.

I bought the yarn for the project one snowy April day in Edinburgh. I'd gone through to Edinburgh for the day with my youngest son and I had my first pay packet from a new job so we visited Jenner's Department Store. There was a good selection of Di Gilpin Lalland in the store - it was the first time I'd come across it and I instantly fell in love with its lambswool softness!

woollen cowl in yellow, red, green and beige sitting on grass beside a buttercup flower.


I appreciate that you might not be able to get your hands on the Di Gilpin Lalland or it may simply be out of your budget, so here are a few ideas I have for substituting the yarn because it isn't listed on yarnsub.com.

Biches & Bȗches - Le Lambswool (100% wool). It's slightly thinner than the Lalland at 170m/ 50g but the feel of the yarn is similar.

Simply Shetland Lambswool & Cashmere (88% Shetland Wool/ 12% Cashmere). This yarn has a similar twist to the Lalland and is almost spot on for meterage.

West Yorkshire Spinners Pure DK (100% wool). Lovely and soft with a beautiful twist. Slightly thicker than the Lalland (112m/50g)

King Cole Merino Blend DK (100% wool). An excellent budget yarn which I've used many times in my designs. It is a bit thicker at 104m/ 50g.

Stashbust! This project could be crocheted in most DK weight yarns. You could pull together a collection of differnt coloured yarns with the same yarn base or you could even make a completely scrappy version - remember all your ends will be hidden inside!

 

I hope this has given you some yarn inspiration, happy crocheting,

Marta xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafting with Care: Crocheting for Babies & Toddlers

  Crocheting For Babies & Toddlers: Safety Considerations Hello! Let's imagine you've picked out the perfect pattern, chosen the...