Friday 29 March 2024

My Day at the Scottish Wool Producers Showcase

 


Scottish Wool Producers Showcase


Well, the event last Saturday in Perth was a blast! I enjoyed every minute, from wandering around squishing wool in the morning to chatting to crochet fans at my stall in the afternoon!

This was the second time that this showcase festival had been run by Eva Christie and the team behind the Scottish Yarn Festival, and it definitely deserves its sell-out success! The upstairs area of the Dewars Centre in Perth was a wool lover's dream!

I arrived in Perth by train and had about an hour to wonder about, look at the stalls and chat to the stall holders. It was so good to see and feel all the different Scottish wools available. 

At midday, myself and the other designers who had been invited had half an hour to set up our stalls to display our designs. I'd brought with me a few samples which used Scottish wool, including my Gorse Cowl and Saturday Beanie.

In the morning, I'd picked up 2 very different types of yarn and I displayed them with large sheets of paper, asking my fans what they thought I should use them for. 



I'd bought 4x 25g cakes of Balgownie Wool from Culross Yarn (above). It's 4ply, spun with wool from their own sheep and beautifully dyed up with the most dreamy plant based dyes! One of the most popular suggestions was wrist warmers/ fingerless mitts/ mittens - so I think I will go along with that. The quantity will be just right and I can work some pretty colour changes in.

My second acquisition was 8x 50g skeins of Ethie Yarn from Lunan Bay Farm (below). This yarn is 10% cashmere/ 40% Shetland/ 50% alpaca and it feels absolutely gorgeous! The most popular suggestion from my fans was to make a tank top/ sleevelss top which I feel would work very well in this drapy wool.  

I'd also brought along printed copies of my Perth Beanie crochet pattern to give away. It was an appropriate one to give away because the Clan DK wool needed for the pattern was available to buy from The Scottish Yarn Festival stall, just down the corridor! This design is free on my blog if you fancy the pattern for yourself, link below.


I made a short podcast episode all about my day which has now been uploaded to YouTube. Go take a look if you'd like to find out more and see extra photos and video footage.

If you have enjoyed my blog today, please consider signing up to my mailing list, when you do, you'll automatically be sent my PDF with 25 top tips that every crocheter should know! 


Until next time, happy crocheting,


Marta xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Power of Yarn: How Crochet Can Enhance Your Wellbeing

Hello! I don't know about you, but in our fast-paced world, I often crave moments of peace and activities that will help to keep me calm...