Thursday 14 March 2024

How To Make Do And Mend With Crochet

Text:  4 tips, How To Make Do And Mend With Crochet. Graphic image shows balls of wool with a crochet hook pushed the central one.

 Make Do And Mend With Crochet

Hello! This week I'd like to focus on one of my core values when it comes to crafting: How To "Make Do And Mend"! Crocheting opens up a world of creativity for us, but what about those leftover bits of yarn and those clothes with minor tears? Don't toss them aside, instead embrace the culture of "Make Do and Mend" with crochet. There are many ways that we can make the most of what we have and in this blog post I'm going to share my top 4 tips to breathe new life into your crochet.


1. Conquering the Leftovers:

We've all been there - our project is complete, but now we have a basket overflowing with colorful yarn scraps. These beauties are perfect for creating all sorts of small projects such as amigurumi or hats. You may need to get creative in the way you combine your yarns, but that's all part of the fun! My Air Balloon Beanie is a two colour pattern which could be made in multiple colours to use up your leftovers. Find the pattern on my website here.


2. Patching Up Perfection:

A small snag doesn't have to spell doom. Crochet patches are both a fun and functional way to extend the life of your favourite garments and reduce landfill waste. Choose contrasting or complementary colours to create a unique design element. My Sunshine & Showers pattern set might be ideal for your next cover up! Find the pattern on my website here.




3. Visible Mending Magic:

Embrace the current trend of visible mending! Instead of trying to hide your repair, use contrasting yarn to mend tears in a bold and artistic way. My dad is constantly bringing me his woollen socks to darn and initially I would choose yarns that were similar in colour to the original, but now I just go wild with my colour choices!
Mending in this way adds a personal touch to your clothes and promotes sustainable practices by letting others see your "Make Do And Mend" attitude. Win-win!


4. From Scraps to Spectacular:

Tiny yarn ends don't have to gather dust either; you can turn them into a vibrant scrappy blanket! This classic project is one of my favourites because it's perfect for using up even the tiniest scraps. You can experiment with colour combinations and create a unique masterpiece for your home.
The thing I like most about scrappy blankets is that as I use each yarn I get to remember the original project I used it in. I have 3 scrappy blankets free here on my blog, this is my most recent one but you can use the search bar at the side to easily find the others. 



Don't forget to share your mending journey online! The online crochet community thrives on inspiration and resourcefulness. Share photos of your visible mends or quirky scrap yarn creations. You might inspire others to embrace the "Make Do and Mend" spirit with crochet! Tag me on Instagram @marta.mitchell.designs and I'll share your photos to my stories.
 
By incorporating my 4 tips, you'll save yourself money, reduce waste and also unlock a whole new realm of creative expression. So, dig out those leftover yarns & scraps and get crochetingit's a sustainable and rewarding way to keep your love for crochet thriving.

If you like these tips, please consider signing up to my mailing list, when you do so, you'll automatically be sent my PDF with 25 top tips that every crocheter should know! 


Until next time, happy crocheting,


Marta xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Guide to Joining Crochet Like a Pro

  Seamingly Seamless: Mastering the Art of Joining Hello! If you've been crocheting for a while, you'll probably have come across a...