Friday 16 August 2024

Yarn Review: The Scottish Yarn Festival, Clan DK

Collage image: top right - 2 skeins of yarn, 1 burgunday, 1 ochre; bottom - woman wearing a burgunday coloured crochet hat; left - close up of crocheted ochre hat


Hello! I've been meaning to share my thoughts on the yarn I've been loving the most lately. It's Clan DK from The Scottish Yarn Festival and it's been getting a lot of use in my projects, so I thought it was time to give it a proper review.

I love discovering new yarns so when I first saw this wool at The Scottish Yarn Festival itself in Perth last September I was super impressed with how it squished ... and as for the colours, WOW!

This soft & woolly yarn comes from sheep grazing in Scotland, it's then milled in Yorkshire and is ready to be transformed into something wonderful by us crocheters and knitters! It's a blend of 80% Shetland and 20% Cheviot, it's DK weight (but comes in 4ply and now aran weight too!).

The visionary behind The Scottish Yarn Festival is Eva Christie and she has created an incredible new yarn, combining her passion and knowledge of Scottish wool to produce something truly special. The yarn is lovely and springy when you squish it in skein form which then translates well when it's crocheted up; it really keeps its stitch definition and shape.

As well as 3 undyed neutral colourways, there is a stunning range of 11 colours and Eva has blended some real beauties! They're all named after Scottish Clans (hence the name Clan). You may remember my Perth Beanie - for that I used the colourway Wallace, a dusky burgundy colour. I have a new design at the testing and tech editing stage using Sinclair, a burnt mustard sort of colour. These colours share a common earthy quality and would look fantastic together (indeed, I'm saving all my left-overs to combine in a future scrappy project!).


Close up of a model with long hair wearing a burgunday crocheted hat

Image shows my Perth Beanie


However, it’s not just this yarn’s incredible softness and stunning colour palette that I love. Sustainability is equally important to me and knowing that this wool originates from sheep grazing freely in Scotland, and that processing takes place in Yorkshire, aligns perfectly with my values. Supporting local industries and minimising the environmental impact of production are crucial factors in my yarn choices. By choosing to endorse smaller, more independent yarn suppliers, such as The Scottish Yarn Festival, we not only bolster the local economy, we also help to minimise the environmental impact often associated with larger brands. By choosing to support brands committed to ethical and sustainable practices, we can collectively encourage a more responsible approach to textile production.

As I've mentioned, I've used this wool to design two hats but it would definitely crochet up well in a jumper or blanket, holding its structure well and providing much needed warmth! I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on some 4ply! There's a brand new colourway called Errol being released at The Scottish Yarn Festival on the 7th of September and it's a fabulous green colour, I can't wait to get my hands on it! There are bag/ yarn/ ticket bundles which allow entry to the festival, plus on the day you can collect one of their new tote bags and a skein of Errol, great idea!


Flat lay of a crocheted hat on a lichen covered piece of slab

Image shows my Tay Beanie

If you'd like to try out the Clan yarn for yourself (it truly is one of my favourites!), then you can find it on The Scottish Yarn Festival website, at one of their many stockists (including The Woolly Thistle for my american friends) or at the festival itself on the 7th September at Errol Showground, just outside Perth. At the time of writing the yarn is not listed on the website due to festival commitments, but if you email hello@thescottishyarnfestival Eva will be able to make arangements for you.

If you've used this yarn already, what did you make? Did you love it too? Leave me a comment to let me know!

Until next time, happy crocheting, 

Marta xx

PS. If you're interested in crocheting my Perth Beanie you can find the pattern free on this blog here!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crochet Pattern of the Month Offer for September!

Hello! Who's ready for my latest pattern of the month? If you're looking for a new project for the weekend, this could be the very o...