Wednesday 29 March 2023

Get Perfect-Sized Socks Every Time!

 


Hello! Did you know a question I'm frequently asked is "how do I measure feet for socks?".

When you're getting ready to crochet or knit a pair of socks there are two key pieces of information you need to know; the length of the feet and the circumference of the feet.

The easiest and most accurate way to measure the length is to place a piece of paper flush up against the wall and then step on it with the heel touching the wall. Draw a line on the paper to mark where the big toe comes to and then measure the distance between the mark and the heel end of the paper to give you you're length.

For width; use a tape meaure and measure around the widest part of the foot.This is usually across the ball of the foot. If you don't have a tape measure handy you could use a piece of non-stretchy yarn, such as cotton, wrap it around the widest part of the foot, lay it flat and measure it. 

If you want to be thorough, you could repeat the process for the other foot to see if there are any differences. Go with the larger numbers if there is a discrepancy.

My dad kindly stepped in (no pun intended!) and helped me film a video to demonstrate. We had fun making the footage (another pun, ha!) and drank lots of freshly brewed coffee in the process! I left my parents' fueled with caffeine, ready to edit and release the YouTube short. Check out the video if you've ever wondered how to measure feet for crocheting or knitting socks!

Did you also know that I've published 10 crochet sock patterns? Now you've learnt how to measure feet you'll be able to confidently choose which size to follow!
 
You'll find most of my sock patterns on my website, a few are still exclusive to magazines/ subscription boxes but they will be added later in the year.

Until next time, happy crocheting,

Marta xx

PS. If you'd like to receive my blog straight to your inbox every time, sign up to my mailing list here


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Power of Yarn: How Crochet Can Enhance Your Wellbeing

Hello! I don't know about you, but in our fast-paced world, I often crave moments of peace and activities that will help to keep me calm...