Monday 2 October 2023

How To Cheat At Swatching!

Text reads How To Cheat At Swatching, image is of an L shaped piece of crochet in mint coloured yarn with a crochet hook and ball of yarn to the right of it.


Hello! This is one of the best crochet hacks I've ever shared on Instagram, it received a tonne of engagement - How To Cheat At Swatching - and I thought I'd share it with you here in case you missed it (you know how fickle the algorithm can be!).

The hack is simply to crochet an L shape instead of a square, which cuts down on about 30% of the crochet time!

To do this; start as usual & crochet 3 to 5 rows, then start the next row but turn after about 5 stitches, leaving the remaining stitches unworked, crochet into these 5 stitches only until your height is about the same as your width.

A few things to note! 

  • You will need to work less rows for thicker yarn/ more for thinner yarn before beginning the leg of the L.
  • Again, thicker yarn may only need 4 stitches and thinner yarn more like 7 - use your judgment here.
  • This hack is not suitable if you need to get a good idea of drape, simply because there's less fabric to play with.

To watch my reel on Instagram, click here.

If you'd like to dive deeper into the topic of gauge swatches you can read my popular post; 6 Top tips For Better Swatches here.

Learn the rules then break them like a pro! 

Until next time, happy crocheting,

Marta xx

PS. If you'd like even more crochet hacks from me, sign up to my mailing list and I'll send you a pdf with 25 Top Tips Every Crocheter Needs To Know

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Power of Yarn: How Crochet Can Enhance Your Wellbeing

Hello! I don't know about you, but in our fast-paced world, I often crave moments of peace and activities that will help to keep me calm...