Monday 13 February 2023

How I became a crochet designer, part 3


Hello! I'm back with part 3 of my 'how I became a crochet designer' story! In this blog post, I'm jumping forward to the time when I learnt to crochet! If you missed the previous parts in this series, you can find them on my blog here.

It was 2010 and I was beginning to be drawn towards wool and the infinite creative possibilities held within a ball of yarn. I went through a phase when I was really into weaving - just simple pieces worked on a strong piece of card with nothches cut into it. I used to turn the finished woven pieces into purses with a button closure and I found the whole making process very satisfying.

It was around this time that my best friend Gwen took up crochet and I immediately became interested in what she was up to! After a few lessons from Gwen, together with additional help from books and a bit of guidance from my mum, I was hooked (as the saying goes!).


That's Gwen on the left in the pic above, taken in 2015 and if you look closely at me, I'm actually knitting. Catching up whilst stitching away is such a fun way to pass the time. It's really special to have someone to share my yarn journey with and I'm so grateful to Gwen for getting me into it in the first place!

I didn't keep any of my early crochet attempts and I don't have any photos to share of these titems either. Back when I learnt I didn't have a smart phone and Instagram was in the very early stages (yes, there was a time when we didn't photograph everything!).
 
So, I practiced and practiced, slowly improving with each piece I made. I started with headbands, moved on to hats, then later blankets and baby cardigans.
 
In 2014, a small online yarn company put out a call for pattern submissions which I responded to and that was the start of my crochet design journey! You may remember I shared that particular part of my story back in October, if not you can read it in my blog post here.



I hope you've enjoyed this series on my journey so far. Perhaps, if you've been crocheting for a few years and are thinking about turning to designing, this has inspired you?
 
Did you know I have a course dedicated to writing up your first crochet pattern? It takes you through each of the steps via a mix of written and video tutorials, giving you the confidence to send your pattern out into the world!
 
Crochet designing can be a fantastic wee side hustle, especially nowadays with the cost of living crisis. Learn how to write up and publish crochet patterns to earn a little extra money for you and your family.
 
If this is something you've been dreaming about doing, but aren't quite sure the best way to go about it, take a look at my course here. Remember, I'm here for you should you have any questions - now, throughout the course and beyond!

Until next time, happy crocheting,

Marta xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafting with Care: Crocheting for Babies & Toddlers

  Crocheting For Babies & Toddlers: Safety Considerations Hello! Let's imagine you've picked out the perfect pattern, chosen the...